We ask all new members to carefully read the following document and then click "I agree" (during the signup process) when finished. These are the guidelines that keep our CSA running smoothly, and you are responsible for knowing them and managing your CSA account and membership.
The Spirit of our CSA
- Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) has become a
popular way for consumers to buy fresh, local, seasonal food directly from a farm. The basic idea is that the farm offers a certain number of "shares" to the
public. Interested consumers purchase a share in advance (aka a
"membership" or a "subscription") and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of
seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season. There are numerous benefits to both the farm and the members. Many members report that they reconnect with "real food" and their health and well being improves. It gives an opportunity for the farm to foster a relationship with their members and the opportunity for members to learn more about how food is grown and to visit the farm.
We offer a CSA community blog
members that offers tips, recipes and information about the produce that your receive in your box each week.
- We use a web-based software program called Farmigo to help manage the financial interactions between our customers and our farm. Underwood Family Farm CSA members have online access
to their own accounts from which members can view/edit their contact
information, current subscription options, put their box on a vacation
hold, view their current account balance and history, and view
directions and instructions for their pick-up location. We accept
payment via Paypal
or credit cards (VISA, MasterCard, American Express
and Discover). Payment creates an account balance from which we
subtract boxes received weekly. We require a minimum one-month
prepayment to sign-up for the CSA program. Members can elect to sign-up
for automatic payments through PayPal
(requires a PayPal
account) at any
time during their CSA membership by selecting the Automatic Payment
Service on the payment page.
Please note: If you elect to set-up automatic (pre-approved) payments in PayPal it is the member's responsibility to manage this feature in their PayPal
account. You will be automatically billed whenever your account level
reaches $0. The farm cannot be held responsible for managing this and will be unable to refund for situations where members claim they are unaware that they set this up. Please select SINGLE ELECTRONIC payments if you do not wish to be automatically billed.
For your convenience, here are basic instructions on how to
cancel this feature in PayPal:
1 - Log in to your PayPal account
2 - From My Account, Select Profile > More Options (bottom of the profile submenu)
3 - Under Financial Information click on My pre-approved payments.
4 - Cancel your pre-approved payments to Underwood Family Farms.
Box Sizes and Payment Plans
- We offer two different box sizes for your convenience: Small is valued at $19 per week and Large at $23. We recommend you take a look at our box description page
to help you decide what size box to start with.
There are three options to choose from for your payment frequency; monthly (4 weeks), quarterly (13 weeks), and semi-annual (26 weeks). Since we operate our CSA program year round, we assume our members want to continue unless you notify us or you elect not to make a payment. The payment plan that you choose also determines your membership type, the longer commitment means more rewards back to the member (see below for details).
Harvest Rescheduling Fee
- Members must agree to receive at least 4 boxes/weeks worth of produce or they will be assessed a $30 fee. If you are a monthly member and you want to cancel prior to receiving your 4th box, you will be subject to the $30 penalty. Quarterly or semi-annual members must abide by the same rule and may cancel only after each 4 week/box period. Weeks that your box is on hold do not count toward meeting your minimum. So, for example, if you are 6 weeks/boxes into your quarterly membership and you decide you want to cancel early, you will be subject to the $30 penalty. If you waited to complete 8 weeks/boxes, you can then cancel with no penalty.
The reason we established this policy is to help control our administrative costs. When you sign up for a membership we commit resources, crops and supplies to deliver the proper number of boxes to our members. We don’t have too many cancellations, but we want to do our best to discourage this practice so that it doesn’t impact our members by driving up the cost of doing business.
- Quarterly members will receive their 14th box free, and semi-annual members will receive their 27th, 28th and 29th boxes free! Monthly members will be rewarded with two (2) free boxes upon completion of 52 weeks (one year). The reward boxes will be credited to your account at the end of each respective membership period and cannot be exchanged for cash, credit or as an additional, secondary box during the paid membership time. Size of the reward box will be based upon the size chosen at the beginning of the membership. Early cancellations are not eligible for the reward box(es), you must complete the entire subscription period to qualify.
Vacation holds are permitted but do not count toward meeting the number of weeks/boxes required to receive the reward box(es).
As an active CSA member, you can also earn bonus boxes by referring your friends and family to the program. Just ask the new member to put your name in this box on the payment page of the sign up process:
How did you hear about us? If somebody referred you to us, please tell us their name.
You will receive your reward box sometime after the new member completes four (4) weeks of the program. Must be a new member, not a renewing member to qualify.
Active CSA members will receive free admission to the farm for the length of their membership.* Present your name and ID at the admission’s office in Moorpark for entry. Please note that free admission for members is based on your active CSA subscription status, for example if you are not receiving a box during the week that you come to the farm, you will be not able to get in free. During the Fall Harvest Festival all active members are eligible for a 50% discount on the normal admission price of $12.00. This may not be combined with any other discounts or offers. More information on the Farm Center admission can be found here
. Members can also attend a private tour of our farm. We will periodically email members with upcoming tour dates and you will have the opportunity to RSVP to one of these dates. *Please note that this benefit applies to the CSA member only.
- By agreeing to join our CSA, you are also agreeing to open and read email communications from us including: Payment due emails; all billing issues regarding your account will be emailed to you, including start ups and account suspension. You may also receive specific emails announcing important changes to our service. Please read our emails as soon as you see them. Please add email@example.com
to your address book to protect our communications from spam filters.
We encourage subscribers to give us feedback about box quality and contents by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
. It's very important that you include your full name, and your email address log-in which you used to create your online account, on all correspondence. For quality issues please include when you picked up your box and how you're storing the produce.
Box Holds/Subscription Changes
- Members are responsible for managing their CSA subscriptions. This includes box holds for when you go on vacation or are unable to pick up your box and changes to your subscription (box size/quantity, pickup location). These features are all available to you by logging into your account here
. The farm cannot be held responsible for mistakes, all changes are emailed to both the member and the farm so that there is a record of all changes. By clicking on Help in our CSA management system, Farmigo, you can find answers to your account questions.
- Your box will not be delivered if you do not have an account balance four (4) days prior to your pickup date. For example, if your pickup date is on Tuesday, you will need to make your payment by Friday. If we don't receive a timely payment from you, your service will be suspended. If you make a payment after this time, you may need to wait until the next delivery cycle. Restarting your box delivery may take up to four (4) days, as the lists are made in advance, so don't expect a box that week unless you get an email saying it will be there. If you do not get a box, there will be no charge for that week.
- To cancel your membership prior to your end date, please email us at email@example.com
and put CSA Cancellation in the subject line.
Pickup Day/Location Etiquette
- In order to expand our CSA program, Underwood Family Farms relies on outside private drop sites, and we ask everyone to please observe the following rules:
- Please observe the pick-up times carefully. Doors may be locked or hosts gone during other times. We do not coordinate or recommend after hours pickup.
- Don't take a box if your name is not on the distribution list. If there isn't one there for you, there's probably a reason why. If you have someone pickup for you, do not forget to inform them of this policy.
- Do not look through other peoples boxes. All the like-sized boxes contain the same items.
- Please check with your site host about box recycling. Please do not leave the
papers, cellaphane or other trash at your pickup site.
- Late pick-ups are not eligible for credits, due to natural deterioration of fresh produce.
Lots of things can happen to boxes after hours, we don't credit for any of them.
- We strongly urge you to read through the FAQ page
to fully enjoy and understand the CSA experience at our farm. There are many common questions answered there, and it's always good to know things in advance!